When you think of beans, if you’re like me you probably think of rice and beans or some Mexican recipe with salsa and cheese. But after recently buying a case of canned chickpeas at Costco, I’ve found that there are a lot of other ways to enjoy beans. My wife made me find some recipes to use up those “damn beans” but that’s another story.
A chickpea is also known as a garbanzo bean and they’re high in fiber and a good source of antioxidants. They’re also great for making hummus.
But you may not have known that chickpeas can be made into a healthy snack by roasting them. Next time you want to reach for a bag of chips, reach for some roasted chickpeas instead.
Here are my favorite recipes for roasted chickpeas:
Roasted Chickpeas Three Ways
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix chickpeas in a bowl with the olive oil until evenly coated
- Spread out chickpeas on a cookie sheet
- Cook for about 40 minutes or until chickpeas are crunchy
- Remove from cookie sheet and place in another bowl
- Add one of the below combos and mix well
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce