When you’re an Italian and your name is Anthony and you’re living in New Jersey, it’s a given that you should know how to make tomato sauce from scratch. So here’s my recipe for how to make homemade tomato sauce.
It’s a shame about the whole carbs are bad thing diet kick that everyone is talking about. I could eat pasta or pizza every day of the week. And besides the carbs, both pasta and pizza and have one thing in common that makes them delicious, it’s the tomato sauce. This is post is about how to make homemade tomato sauce for pasta. It’s a meat sauce and it’s great on lasagna or baked ziti or even just plain spaghetti. If you’re goal is to make pizza sauce, you probably don’t want to use this recipe. Now you definitely could use it for homemade pizza if you’re only alternative is something out of a jar. This will be much better than that. But if you do, then add a little oregano when you spread the sauce on the pizza dough and you’ll be fine.
You going to need a large stock pot for this recipe. Around 12-16 quarts should be good. The more you make, the more you can freeze for the future. It’s easy to defrost tomato sauce. Just take the container out of the freezer the day before and leave it in the refrigerator. If you’re going to spend up to 8 hours making this sauce, then you’ll want to get more than one meal out of it.
Low Carb Uses for Homemade Tomato Sauce
And if you’re also trying to cut down on the carbs there’s lots of things that you can eat with this homemade tomato sauce. Lately I’ve been eating a lot of bun-less pizza burgers. Very easy to make if you have sauce in the fridge already. Just cook a burger and add some mozzarella cheese and then slather it with hot homemade tomato sauce.
These Low Carb Pizza snacks are a great use of tomato sauce too. Just serve the pizza crisps with a bowl of sauce for dipping.
But remember if you want a delicious homemade sauce for pasta, then this is the recipe you should try. Forget about all the dieting and low carb and just enjoy your bowl of pasta.
And if you use this tomato sauce recipe to make baked ziti don’t forget to use the leftovers for a ziti panini.
Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 4 tbsp olive oil Extra Virgin
- 2-3 pounds Chop Meat 80/20 - Or use ground beef, pork & veal which is usually labeled as Meatloaf mix
- 3 cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1 whole chopped onion
- 1 whole Chopped Carrot
- 1 stalk Chopped Celery
- 6 28 oz cans Whole Tomatoes
- 5 15 oz cans Tomato Paste
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large sauce pot heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium high flame. Add the chopped meat and season with salt and pepper Brown the meat, drain the fat and set meat aside
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the same pot and add the chopped garlic Cook for a minute or two but don't let the garlic burn Add the chopped onion and season with salt and pepper Saute the onions until translucent or 3-4 minutes Add the chopped carrots and celery Saute for another 3-4 minutes
- Add the browned chop meat to the pot Add the tomatoes to a food processor, chop until sauce-like then add to pot Add the tomato paste Add the Bay Leaf, Garlic Powder, Basil, Parsley, Salt & Pepper
- Simmer on low for 4-6 hours Taste midway and adjust seasonings if needed Serve with cooked pasta Store leftover sauce in freezer