I’ve been on a low carb diet for a while now. The weight is coming off and that’s great but every once in a while you need some delicious carbohydrate loaded foods. And that’s what a cheat day is for. It’s hard to be a food blogger when you’re trying to cut carbs and lose weight. So this past weekend my cheat day consisted of strawberry, banana Nutella crepes. It’s actually pretty easy to make and I found the best crepe recipe.
Years ago when the kids were small we would make the trek from New Jersey to NYC around the holidays. We’d see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, check out the store windows, and get something to eat. My favorite part was getting crepes in Bryant Park. Chocolate, banana, strawberries all the best stuff can go in a crepe. They also have savory crepes with meats and seafood or pizza style. But today is all about the sweets.
So after a lot of research online, I came across the best crepe recipe. It’s pretty basic but it’s really good.
Best Crepe Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl, whisk everything except the flour together. While still mixing, slowly add in the flour.
- Cover and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Give it another quick whisk but don't over mix.
- Melt a little butter in your frying pan or on your flat top griddle and wipe it with a paper towel so there's only a thin coat of butter spread evenly over the cooking surface.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the crepe batter and spread with a crepe spreader. If using a frying pan, you can tilt the pan to spread out the crepe batter.
- Cook the crepe for 30-60 seconds and lift the edges with a spatula. When you can lift it then it's time to flip it.
- Flip the crepe and cook for another 15-30 seconds.
- Add your favorites sweet toppings.
Here’s some of my favorite crepe filling/ toppings:
Apple Pie Filling
Making crepes is a lot of fun and with all the topping/ filling combinations it would be easy to set up a great do it yourself crepe bar at a party. But if you only have a frying pan and you’re making crepes one at a time then maybe you shouldn’t invite too many people.
The Blackstone Griddle
The 36″ Blackstone Flattop Griddle is exactly what you need to make several crepes at once. The first time I used it to make crepes, it was pretty easy to cook 3 or 4 at once. The griddle has been great for making burgers and stir fries and kinds of other delicious food that I wasn’t too surprised that it was perfect for making crepes too.
So there’s no reason to be intimidated by crepes. If you can make pancakes then you basically have all the skills that you need. There’s some other fancy recipes out there that you can try if you want but this basic recipe is probably the best crepe recipe and you should try it first.